The Innovation award recognizes, encourages and celebrates the work of entrepreneurial scientists by providing support in the early stages of their career which will help bring more ideas to life and research to market for the benefit of people and society.
BII & Science Prize for Innovation 2023 | What to Know
The BioInnovation Institute (BII) in collaboration with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) initiated the prize to recognize entrepreneurial talent and promote innovation in the life sciences. The prize is awarded for outstanding research performed by the applicant as described in a 1,000-word essay.
- The grand price winner will receive a cash prize of USD 25,000 as well as travel and accommodation for the award ceremony.
- Up to two runners up will receive USD 10,000 cash award and also travel and accommodation for the award ceremony.
- Winners will receive a 5-year digital subscription to Science, and their essay published in Science
- Opportunity to be paired with the business development team for evaluation of their eligibility for any BioInnovation Institute programs.
To be eligible for the BII & Science Prize for Innovation, applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Entrants must have finished their Ph.D. within the last 10 years.
- Applicants must have made significant advances in producing results that were protected as intellectual property and licensed to a commercial entity.
- Researchers who are asking fundamental questions at the intersection of the life sciences and entrepreneurship.
- Entrants can show that they have reached across field boundaries with an enthusiasm that has combined outstanding basic science with an eye towards application in the marketplace.
How-to-Apply: To submit entry for the BII & Science Prize for Innovation, interested applicants are to apply online and complete an entry form with an essay written by the entrant, that demonstrates their research as it relays to entrepreneurship.
Additional Submission Requirements:
- Essay not exceeding 1,000 words.
- One-page letter of recommendation from the entrant’s postdoctoral adviser, supervisor or other senior colleague who is familiar with their work.
- Curriculum vitae to include: Full citation of papers published; Academic and professional awards and honors; Relevant professional experience.
Application Deadline: 1 November, 2022