Apply for the Deutsche Welle (DW) International Journalism Traineeship Program 2024. The DW traineeship program is looking for young people from all over the world interested in a comprehensive, exceptional quality journalism program with an international broadcaster. Deutsche Welle (DW) is Germany’s international broadcaster. The broadcaster produces multimedia in-depth content up to 30 languages worldwide.
DW is complemented by DW Akademie which promotes the human right to freedom of expression and access to information in approximately 50 developing and transition countries. As a German public broadcaster, DW is proud of its varied and quality journalism content and which provides space for a wide-range of voices and contributes to media diversity.
The traineeship program is a 18-month, bilingual journalism traineeship planned to get underway in January 2023 at the organization broadcasting centers in Bonn and Berlin. Trainees will acquire skills needed to become a successful multimedia reporter and editor, learning from the best supervisors at one of the most prestigious journalism training programs in Germany and beyond
You will gain hands-on experience one various multimedia categories including TV, online and radio with a combination of practical training blocks and newsroom placements and a deserving salary. This traineeship program is dedicated to creative minds who reflect language and cultural diversity and who have something to add to the status quo.
Selected applicants for the DW Traineeship program will receive several benefits including:
- Through out the traineeship program, you will acquire journalism skills as well as hands-on experience
- Trainees will receive a a salary worth 1,896 Euros a month for the first six (6) months, 2,074 Euros for the next six (6) months and 2,173 euros a month for the last six (6) months
- You will be assigned placements with various DW editorial departments in Bonn as well as in Berlin along with other foreign departments in Brussels, Washington or Moscow
- As a trainee, You will learn and benefit from first hand introduction to producing your own content for TV, radio or online formats, from generating ideas to technical production
- At the end of the traineeship there is a prospect of ongoing contract working for DW worldwide
In order to apply, you must full fill the following application conditions:
- All applicants from all over the world are welcome and encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in one of the DW program languages.
- For the Bilingual traineeship You must be a native speaker of one of DW’s languages with excellent English and good German language skills or be a native English speaker with good German language skills or be native German speaker with excellent English language skills
- Applicants must have completed university degree, college degree or apprenticeship in fields of technology/IT, science, politics, economics or law
- You are required to have initial journalistic experience before you apply.
- Desired applicants are those with creative minds along with social media expertise and have the ability to work under deadlines and as part of a team
You will have to complete and submit your application via the online portal from the programme website. Applicants will be request to submit the following support documents.
- A well written cover letter.
- Your most recent CV in Europass format.
- Certificates, diplomas and your transcripts of records.
- A sample of your work in a format of your choice including video, audio, text, social media.
- Although optional, applicants may submit letters of recommendations to support their application.
- Language proficiency certificates are also appreciated