The scholarships also provide enhanced experience through external mentors, placements, leadership training, community-building activities and networking opportunities. There are up to 10 scholarship opportunities available. The scholarship covers stipend (est £18,022 for 2023 entry) and fees for up to four years.
Scholarship Type: Fully Funded
Host Institution(s): University of Glasgow, UK
Scholarship Worth: Not specified
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Postgraduate (PhD)
Nationality: Not specified
James Mccune Smith PhD Scholarships 2022/23 | Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for the James Mccune Smith PhD Scholarships, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a UK domiciled Black African, Black Caribbean, Black Other, Mixed White and Black Caribbean, Mixed White and Black African, or other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Carribean or Black Other).
- Must have obtained relevant bachelor and master’s degree from a reputable institution of higher learning.
- Must demonstrate excellent academic and research abilities.
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the James Mccune Smith PhD Scholarships at the University of Glasgow 2023 are to follow the steps outlined (below):
- Look at the research interests of staff at the University of Glasgow so that you can suggest a research area and a supervisor.
- Submit a completed Expression of Interest form
- Follow the application process, beginning with contacting potential supervisors. When contacting a potential supervisor, be sure to state that you wish to apply for a James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of the options for funding. The topic of research for a James McCune Smith Scholarship is decided by the applicant in conjunction with their potential supervisor.
- Submit your personal statement via the Scholarship Portal. The personal statement should be up to 500 words on your research interest and why you wish to be a James McCune Smith Scholar.
- Submit an application on the University’s MyCampus system. Please name the James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of the funding options under Finance in the online full application.
Application Deadline: 31st January 2023